Recipe Creamy Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (Naturally Sweetened)
July 18, 2016
Say goodbye to sugar-loaded store-bought chocolate hazelnut spreads and complicated confections. Our Creamy Chocolate Hazelnut Spread is so easy it comes together within minutes. And you’ll love what’s in it as much as what isn’t!
Lightly-toasted hazelnuts are the first ingredient in our recipe. Instead of refined sugar, our Creamy Chocolate Hazelnut Spread gets its delicate sweetness from natural maple syrup. Coconut cream and coconut oil replace less sustainable palm oil often used in store-bought options. Cocoa powder, vanilla, and a pinch of salt are all you need to make this simple chocolate hazelnut spread sing!
Never used coconut cream? It’s what makes this homemade recipe as thick and spreadable as a Creamy Chocolate Hazelnut Spread should be. This versatile ingredient is made from just two things: coconut and water. And it’s easy to find in your local grocery store—look for it in cans or tetrapaks in the baking aisle or international foods section.
Made with wholesome ingredients you can feel good about, our easy Creamy Chocolate Hazelnut Spread is as delicious on slices of sprouted whole grain bread hot from the toaster as it is on a vegan ice cream sundae. This sweet treat is sure to become a new family favourite!
- 1 cup skinless raw hazelnuts
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil melted
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut cream
- ½ tsp vanilla (or hazelnut extract)
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in oven until coloured and aromatic, about 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer cooled hazelnuts to food processor and process until nut butter starts to form, stopping to scrape down the sides often.
- Add cocoa powder and coconut oil and continue processing, drizzling maple syrup in a little at a time. Process until fairly smooth. Add coconut cream, vanilla and salt and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Allow to cool to room temperature then refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy with your favourite Silver Hills bread! Don’t have a favourite yet? Check out our Which Sprouted Bread is Best for You and Your Family post to discover the perfect loaf for you!
Try these handy tips!
- Can’t find coconut cream at your usual grocery store? Spare yourself an unwanted side quest. Use the solid white stuff at the top of a can of regular full-fat coconut milk instead! (Chill the can for 20 – 30 minutes before opening for easy scooping).