Recipe Vegan Grilled Vegetable Wrap with Mashed Black Beans
May 05, 2022
This Grilled Vegetable Wrap is packed with protein, easy to take on-the-go, and versatile for the picky eaters in your family.
Tortillas are so versatile for wraps like this one or for tacos, quesadillas, etc. For this recipe, I used Silver Hills Sprouted Tortillas. I always make sure I have some of these on hand. They are certified organic, and have 29 grams of sprouted whole grains per tortilla!
Why choose sprouted grains? They maintain amazing taste, plus they are great for your health. Sprouting is nature’s way of unlocking valuable nutrients, making these tortillas something you can trust for your whole family. Sprouting makes nutrients easier for our bodies to absorb and helps retain all the nutrition and fibre.
Greek Canadian, Maria Koutsogiannis’ journey with food began after enduring a cruel battle with an eating disorder. Her fierce honesty, and stripped back approach to sharing her journey to self-love and seeking a healthy relationship with food, has amassed a global cult following in just three short years. Maria has an unwavering ability to keep it real and genuine and seeks to educate readers, and inspire vegans and non-vegans alike to embrace vibrant, wholesome plant based foods into their daily life.
For the beans:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup white sweet onion , finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , pressed
- 1 can (398 ml / 14 fl oz) black beans , drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp chili flakes (season to taste)
- ¼ cup vegetable stock
For the wrap:
- 3 Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery Organic Whole Grain Tortillas
- 1 handful cilantro
- ½ cup vegan cheese , shredded
- ¼ cup non-dairy sour cream
- ¼ cup tomato salsa
- 1 cup spinach
For roasting veggies:
- 6 – 8 thin asparagus spears , trimmed
- 1 small white sweet onion , sliced
- 1 small eggplant , sliced (1/2 inch cuts))
- 1 cup mushrooms of choice , halved
- 1 zucchini , sliced (1/2 inch cuts)
- 3 cloves garlic , crushed or finely minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper , fresh cracked
For the beans:
- Heat a medium-sized pot on low heat and add olive oil. Heat for 30 seconds before adding onions and cooking for 5 minutes stirring often. Add your garlic and stir. Cook for 3 minutes before adding beans and the remaining ingredients apart from the vegetable stock. Increase heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes, allowing the flavours and ingredients to marry. Increase heat to high, add vegetable stock, cook for 3 minutes or until the mixture comes to a boil then simmer for 25 – 28 minutes on low.
- You want the mixture to be thick but not clumpy. Your house will smell amazing and your taste buds will be ready for all that BBQ food!
- Gently mash the beans to achieve a smooth, spreadable bean mixture.
For the roasted veggies:
- While your bean simmer, preheat BBQ, grill or boiler!
- To a large bowl, add all the ingredients for roasting veggies. Gently toss and well coat each ingredient. BBQ, grill or broil the vegetable medley for around 5 – 7 minutes, only flipping once. Be patient and let them char!
- Just before your veggies finish, give your Silver Hills Sprouted Tortillas a grill (around 1 minute on each side). Feel free to use a brush and brush on any remaining marinade from the veggies to really amplify those flavours!
- Spread ⅓ of the bean mixture over each tortilla. Top each with 1/2 cup grilled veggies, fresh cilantro, cheese, sour cream, salsa and spinach. Roll the tortillas tightly, tucking in the sides and you go. Cut at a diagonal and serve immediately with a fresh salad!