Recipe Bagel Bites and Vegan Garlic Herb Cream Cheese
May 05, 2022
Do you know anyone who doesn’t have a soft spot for bagels? Me neither, which is why I was inspired to bring bagels outside of my morning routine with these crunchy sprouted Bagel Bites! Sprouted whole grain bagels aren’t just for healthy breakfasts or bagelwiches. Slicing savoury Silver Hills Organic Everything Bagels into chip-sized bites before baking transforms chewy bagels into a crispy, satisfying snack. Seasoned with extra everything bagel spice and topped with Vegan Garlic Herb Cream Cheese, these Bagel Bites capture all there is to love about bagels in a crunchy, anytime morsel.
Eat them as an appie on movie night. Savour them as an afternoon snack. Dunk them in an assortment of your favourite plant-based dips and spreads. Use them as a base for crunchy canapés. However you serve these sprouted whole grain Everything Bagel Bites, they’re sure to please. (The Vegan Garlic Herb Cream Cheese is just as good on a toasted Everything bagel or bagelwich as it is smeared generously on every chip-sized Bagel Bite in the batch. Double the recipe to keep the creamy enjoyment going all week!)
Recipe adapted by the fabulous Lauren Toyota of Hot for Food.
Greek Canadian, Maria Koutsogiannis’ journey with food began after enduring a cruel battle with an eating disorder. Her fierce honesty, and stripped back approach to sharing her journey to self-love and seeking a healthy relationship with food, has amassed a global cult following in just three short years. Maria has an unwavering ability to keep it real and genuine and seeks to educate readers, and inspire vegans and non-vegans alike to embrace vibrant, wholesome plant based foods into their daily life.
For the bagel bites:
- 3 Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery Organic Everything Bagels , chopped into chip bites
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp everything bagel spice
- 2 Tbsp dried thyme
For the vegan garlic herb cream cheese:
- 1 package (200 g) firm tofu
- 1 cup raw cashews , soaked for 4 hours or overnight
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper , fresh cracked
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dried dill
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 small handful fresh thyme , finely chopped or coarse
- 1 small handful fresh chives (or green onion), finely chopped or coarse
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place tofu on a cutting board lined with a kitchen cloth, place a plate onto the tofu and then a heavy book onto the plate. Let this press for 30 minutes.
- Into a large bowl combine your bagel bites, oil and spices. Toss till well coated.
- Transfer between two baking sheets and cook for 15 minutes, flipping half way through. Use judgement, this may take longer than 15 minutes depending on your oven. Once cooked, remove from oven and set on a baking tray to cool.
- Once 30 minutes have passed transfer your tofu and the remaining ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend till well combined. Could take up to 1–2 minutes. Transfer to a tight sealed container, pat till flat and set in fridge for up to 6 hours or overnight before serving. Enjoy with veggies and bagel bites on a fabulous platter!
Try these handy tips!
- The Vegan Garlic Herb Cream Cheese will last in fridge for up to one week in a tight sealed container—don't be afraid to make extra! (Or save some for another batch of Bagel Bites if you have leftovers). - You can add your herbs in after blending and simply fold into cheese. Up to you.