Beyond sliced bread, there are few more versatile ingredients in your kitchen than breadcrumbs. And if the ingredients make the recipe, don’t settle for the pale and flavourless store-bought kind. Make your own sprouted breadcrumbs at home with less effort than it takes to wrangle the kids for a trip to the grocery store. Better breadcrumbs than you can buy are as easy as drying slices of your family’s favourite Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery bread in the oven, and blitzing them for a few seconds in the food processor. Use fresh slices, or save the heels from a few loaves in the freezer until you’re ready to make a batch.
Sprouted breadcrumbs do more than stretch lentil loaves to feed more mouths on a budget. They have binding superpowers that hold everything from veggie meatballs to veggie burger patties together. Use them as a crispy, oven-baked crust in place of a deep-fried batter. Add crunch to savoury baked dinners like our Squash Casserole, or give a textural topping to sweet one-dish-wonders like our Easy Apple-Rhubarb Betty. The possibilities are endless! And when you make them yourself, you can make only what you need to get through tonight’s dinner plans, or as much as you need for a month’s worth of cooking. Whatever you make with these lightly crunchy, flavourful crumbs, we’re sure of one thing: you’ll never go back to the sad store-bought kind again.
Healthy eating has never been so easy!
- 8 slices sprouted bread (we used Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery Steady Eddie™ bread for our photo)
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Spread sprouted whole grain bread slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Dehydrate in the oven until completely crisp, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, flipping slices every 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Grind in food processor until desired breadcrumb texture is reached (somewhere between coarse and fine sand).
- If not using the whole batch immediately, store unused portions in a sealed container:
- In the pantry: up to 2 weeks
- In the fridge: up to a month
- In the freezer: up to 3 months