Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms with Crispy Sprouted Breadcrumbs
These Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms with Crispy Sprouted Breadcrumbs are loaded with flavour! Button mushrooms stuffed with mashed potatoes, garlic, and sprouted whole grain breadcrumbs, what’s not to love?
This recipe comes from a cookbook given to Stan (co-founder and co-owner of Silver Hills Bakery) as a holiday gift from his daughters, Sondra and Alonna—so you know it’s made with love. As this recipe was made with family in mind, we share it with you in the hopes that your family can gather around the table and enjoy a delicious meal together.
Serve this hearty dish up as a tantalizing appetizer or a satisfying vegan side dish. These plant-based stuffed mushroom caps are a healthy plant-based meal that you can rely on when you need comfort food on a cozy night in, or a showstopping snackable when you host family and friends.
- 12 large button mushrooms
- 1 cup potatoes, cooked (or leftover mashed potatoes)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2/3 cup sprouted breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and set aside sprouted breadcrumbs. If you don’t have sprouted breadcrumbs on hand, prepare a batch using our trusty recipe.
- With an electric mixer, whip the cooked potatoes with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir in salt, basil, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Clean mushrooms and pull off the stems. Chop the stems. In a medium skillet, sauté the onions, mushroom stems, and garlic with 1 tablespoon of olive oil just until softened. Add to cooked potatoes.
- Place mushroom caps, cups facing upward, on a cookie sheet. Spoon potato mixture into each cap. Toss breadcrumbs with a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle on top of each mushroom. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until mushrooms are tender and the filling is golden. Enjoy!
- Don’t have fresh basil? Dried basil works fine too. You can use whichever combination of fresh or dried herbs you prefer (thyme, rosemary, oregano, or sage would be equally delicious!)
- If you have leftover mashed potatoes in your fridge, use them in this recipe to save time.