Recipe Easy Apple Rhubarb Betty Dessert
Bake this easy healthy vegan dessert any time of year!
March 18, 2019
Beautiful pink pieces of rhubarb have become synonymous with delicious pies and springtime, but did you know this stalky vegetable is also packed with calcium, fibre, vitamins C and K, iron, and manganese? Not too shabby. Our Easy Apple Rhubarb Betty layers rhubarb alongside crisp apples topped with sprouted grain breadcrumbs made from our Sprouted Power™ Hemptation bread to make a deliciously healthy vegan dessert that’s great on its own and even better with plant-based ice cream.
What are the best apples to use in a baked betty dessert?
Choose apples that stand up well when baked. We love Honeycrisp, but any flavourful apple that holds its shape without going mushy in the oven works. Equally wonderful apple options include Braeburn, Pink Lady, or trusty apple pie standby Granny Smith.
Not rhubarb season? Use frozen!
Can’t find fresh rhubarb? Make this dish all year long with frozen rhubarb, easily found with other frozen fruit at your favourite grocery store.
For the fruit base:
- 2 cups rhubarb (fresh or frozen), sliced
- 2 large apples , peeled, cored and cut into medium dice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
For the topping:
- 8 slices Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery Hemptation™ bread *, crust removed
- 4 Tbsp non-dairy buttery spread (or vegan butter), melted
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar , packed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place all the fruit base ingredients in a medium bowl and toss until well combined. Transfer to a greased 6″ × 6″ square baking dish and set aside.
- Meanwhile, tear the bread slices into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until crumbs are coarse. Transfer to a small bowl and add the remaining topping ingredients and toss to coat. Sprinkle over fruit mixture and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes, remove foil, and continue baking until the fruit is tender and the topping is golden brown, 10–15 minutes more. Serve warm and top with plant-based ice cream, if desired.
Try these handy tips!
- Our Hemptation bread is only available in the US. Our Easy Apple Rhubarb Betty is just as tasty with our Mack’s Flax™ bread, or whatever Silver Hills Sprouted Power bread your family loves best!