Savoury Peanut Butter Sandwich on Sprouted Bread
Using peanut butter in savoury recipes is nothing new. In fact, peanuts and peanut sauce (similar to peanut butter) have a long tradition of being used in many West African and Southeast Asian recipes. With this recipe, we aren’t asking you to go as far as West Africa. But we do ask that you step a little outside your culinary comfort zone, and into a whole new world of delicious, savoury, nutty flavour!
We love using peanut butter for its rich, nutty flavour—but if you need an allergy-friendly option, swap in sunflower seed butter for a deliciously easy way to make this recipe nut-free. Smooth or crunchy, peanut or nut-free, this recipe is best made with natural-style butters made from 100% peanuts or seeds. (We don’t recommend using sweetened peanut butters for this recipe.)
Crisp lettuce and crunchy cucumber add a little textural complexity to this savoury sandwich—without overpowering the peanut butter flavour. This results in a surprisingly fresh-tasting sandwich, complete with a variety of textures. Try this unique sandwich today using our certified organic Wheat & Greet bread (or your favourite Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery bread) and you’ll have a healthy and delicious bite to eat in no time.
- 4 slices Silver Hills Bakery Organic Wheat & Greet
- 4 tbsp peanut butter (for an allergy-friendly option, use Organic Sun Butter)
- 2 Leaves romaine lettuce (broken in half to make 2 leaves)
- 4-6 Pieces English cucumber sliced ½ inch rounds
- 4 tbsp non-dairy cream cheese (We used Spread’em Chive & Garlic)
- 4 tbsp chickpeas, cooked (drained and rinsed if canned)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 6-8 pea shoots
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- Spread peanut butter (or nut-free butter) on each bread slice.
- Rinse the lettuce and cucumber. Tear the lettuce in half (or into sandwich-sized pieces), and slice the cucumber thinly. Place both on top of each peanut butter sandwich.
- Top with vegan cream cheese, chickpeas, a drizzle of olive oil, pea shoots and thyme.
- Assemble the sandwich and enjoy!
Serves 2 (Multiply the recipe for as many sandwiches you’d like!)
- Try making your own herbed cream cheese to use in this sandwich—with our Clean Cashew Cream Cheese, you can add whatever herbs your heart desires!