Recipe Zesty Lemon Hemp Hummus and Veg Wrap
April 15, 2019
There’s something about a bit of lemon that makes savoury hummus instantly fresh. In this healthy Zesty Lemon Hemp Hummus recipe, you get all the zingy flavour and brightening acidity of lemon juice with the satisfying smoothness of plant-based protein and healthy fats from creamy chickpeas and hemp hearts. With 11 grams of protein per 3 tablespoons, hemp hearts contain all nine essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.
Our Zesty Lemon Hemp Hummus recipe makes a delicious sandwich spread, dip for veggies, or a toast topper to add a whole new layer of sophistication (and nutrition!) to your next avocado toast.
But why stop there? We love how this hummus can make a meal out of fresh veggies and our favourite Organic Sprouted Power™ tortillas, too. (Try the wrap on our Spinach or Turmeric tortillas!)
For the Zesty Lemon Hemp Hummus:
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- 1 can (398 ml / 14 fl oz) chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lemons , zested and juiced
- 1 tsp sea salt (we used Herbamare aromatic sea salt for extra flavour)
- ¼ tsp pepper
For the Veg Wraps:
- 2 Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery Organic Turmeric Tortillas (or your favourite flavour of Silver Hills Bakery Sprouted Power™ tortilla)
- 1 medium bell pepper , sliced into strips (red, yellow, orange, or your favourite combination)
- 1 medium tomato , diced
- 1 large carrot , peeled and cut into matchsticks (or use a spiralizer if you have one)
- ¼ medium red onion , thinly sliced
- ½ cup sprouts (clover, alfalfa, radish, or your favourite mix)
- ½ cup non-dairy cheese shreds
- Make the hummus by blending all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor until desired texture is reached. Transfer to a storage container (this recipe makes more than you need for wraps; keep the rest in the fridge for up to a week).
- For the wraps, spread a couple generous spoonfuls of hummus on your favourite Organic Sprouted Power™ tortilla—we used Spinach and Turmeric—and top with fresh vegetables, sprouts, and vegan cheese.
- Turn up the bottom third of the tortilla, then roll from the side to form your perfect veg wrap. Serve and enjoy!
Try these handy tips!
- If hemp hearts aren’t an ingredient you use regularly, store them in the freezer in a sealed bag or container to keep them fresh for up to a year. (Left in the pantry, hemp hearts start to go rancid in 3 or 4 months due to their high content of healthy fats). You can use them straight out of the freezer as a salad or breakfast topper, or blend into smoothies or other spreads.