Recipe Tempeh Tacos with Purple Cabbage Slaw
May 05, 2022
These tempeh tacos are fulfilling, packed with fibre, plant-based protein and they are dang tasty! The key to these tacos is flavouring up the tempeh. The thing with tempeh is that it takes on the flavour of what you cook it with. Once I spiced it up and added tamari and sesame oil it was dancing with flavour and ready to be put into a Silver Hills Bakery Tortilla.
Joy McCarthy is a Holistic Nutritionist and founder of Joyous Health, an award-winning blog and healthy lifestyle brand focused on healthy living. She is a two-time bestselling author of Joyous Health and Joyous Detox, and a World Gourmand Cookbook Award recipient. Her third book, The Joyous Cookbook, comes out late 2019.
- 2 packages (250g) plain tempeh
- 2 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic , minced (or 1 Tbsp garlic powder)
- ½ tsp cayanne
- 4 Tbsp tamari (or coconut aminos)
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil
- 8 Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery Organic Whole Grain Tortillas
- 1 large red pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 handful fresh herbs (cilantro, mint, or basil) , chopped
- 1 – 2 avocados , sliced for topping
- 2 limes
- hot sauce (optional)
- Place tempeh into a food processor and blitz till crumbly or crumble it with your hands.
- In a large fry pan, heat olive oil to medium. Add crumbled tempeh. Sauté for a few minutes and add chili powder, garlic and cayenne.
- Next add tamari sauce. Sauté for a few more minutes until heated through.
- Just before removing from heat, add sesame oil. Set aside. Now it's time to assemble your tacos!
- Place tortilla on a flat surface. Add some tempeh, then top with Purple Cabbage Carrot Salad, next add some sliced red peppers, chopped fresh herbs, squirt of fresh lime, avocado slices and finally some hot sauce if you like an extra kick of heat!
- Keep tempeh taco mixture refrigerated for up to 5 days if you don't eat it right away.