Recipe Tempeh BLT
Try Joyous Health's Maple Tamari Tempeh, Lettuce, and Tomato Sandwich recipe
May 05, 2022
I’m here to get you out of your lunch rut with my delicious and nourishing-to-the core sandwich recipes. I love a good “sammie” (as we call them at home) because they are just so easy to put together and flavour-packed. Your child will thank you when they open their lunchbox to a beautiful sammie and not a stinky hard-boiled egg! And if you’re a grown-up reading this post, well I hope this brings some inspo to your lunch box too!
The common ingredient in all of my sandwich recipes is Silver Hills sprouted bread products. We’ve been buying their breads for years for years because they are delicious, fluffy and I love the fact they are sprouted! This is my preference when making a sammie for Walker or our daughter, Vienna because when wheat is sprouted it is easier to digest–the gluten is pre-digested and the starches are broken down. It’s also higher in gut-levin’ microbiome nourishing, fibre! Sprouted bread never gives anyone in my family the tummy troubles. You can learn more about why sprouting is good for the gut here.
My next recipe is with delicious and hearty tempeh which is a great source of protein and because it’s fermented, it’s very easy to digest. Tempeh on it’s own does not have a lot of flavour, so you’ll find it making it with this marinade makes it oh so yummy as it soaks up all that deliciousness! I would recommend baking the tempeh on the weekend, so you have it in a pinch during the week.
Joy McCarthy is a Holistic Nutritionist and founder of Joyous Health, an award-winning blog and healthy lifestyle brand focused on healthy living. She is a two-time bestselling author of Joyous Health and Joyous Detox, and a World Gourmand Cookbook Award recipient. Her third book, The Joyous Cookbook, came out late 2019.
For the marinated Maple Tamari Tempeh:
- 2 Tbsp tamari
- 3 – 4 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 package (250g) tempeh
For the Tempeh BLT sandwich:
- 4 slices Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery Organic Soft Wheat bread (or your favourite Silver Hills Bakery sprouted whole grain bread)
- 2 leaves romaine lettuce
- ½ ripe avocado
- 2 slices tomato
- Preheat oven 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine tamari, maple syrup and extra virgin olive oil. Place tempeh strips into marinade and make sure they are nicely coated with the marinade. Let marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and flip tempeh and bake for another 10 minutes, for a total of 20 minutes. The tempeh should be crispy but not burned.
- To assemble sammie, place a few strips on toasted bread with tomato, sliced avocado and lettuce. You'll likely have leftover tempeh, just save it for another sammie on another day!