Recipe Savoury Spinach Spread
July 17, 2017
Everyone’s going green these days, and this recipe makes it easy. Packed with powerful antioxidants, this light spinach spread gets its creaminess from soft tofu and raw cashews. Prep is simple: A quick skillet sauté, then pulse in the food processor for a luscious hummus like consistency. Spread on our delicious sprouted breads and top with extra veggies for a nutritious lunch, or serve as a savoury dip alongside your favorite crudites or pita chips.
- 1 300g package soft tofu
- ¾ cup raw cashews , soaked overnight, rinsed, and drained
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 300g package frozen spinach , thawed, squeezed dry, and chopped
- ½ medium onion , finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup water chestnuts , diced
- ¼ cup carrot , grated
- to taste salt
- In a small skillet, cook onion in oil until caramelized. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add spinach and cook until heated through.
- Cool to room temperature before transferring to the bowl of a food processor. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until desired consistency is achieved, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary. Adjust seasonings and enjoy with your favourite sprouted bread, chips, or veggie sticks. Refrigerate leftovers up to 3 days.