Peanut Butter French Toast
Healthy enough for breakfast, but decadent enough for dessert, this rich Peanut Butter French Toast is a kitchen creation that delivers triple the peanuty goodness. Whip up a batch for brunch and bask in smiles of lip-smacking satisfaction, guaranteed. Big slices of our Sprouted Power Soft Wheat bread shine in this quick, simple dish. Chia seeds, peanut powder, and plant-based milk swap in for the usual egg dipping mixture, lending a light, crispy coating that cuts calories while adding flavour. Top our Peanut Butter French Toast with a dollop of peanut butter (yes, more!), your favourite strawberry jam, sliced strawberries, and chopped roasted peanuts for all the nostalgic comfort of PB & J and an extra layer of sophistication.
For the soaking mixture:
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter powder or finely ground peanuts
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
- Fresh (or thawed from frozen) strawberries
- Place the soaking mixture ingredients in a blender and let sit for 10 minutes before blending. After soaking mixture ingredients have had some quality time together, blend on high power for 1 minute.
- Transfer blended soaking mixture into a shallow bowl (a pie plate works well!) and dip both sides of the bread into it, one slice at a time.
- Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat and lightly oil. Cook on one side until golden brown, flip and cook until the second side is ready. Repeat with remaining slices.
- To serve, spread peanut butter French toast with additional peanut butter and strawberry jam. Top with fresh sliced strawberries (or thaw frozen sliced strawberries, and top with berries and a little drizzle of strawberry juice), and garnish with chopped peanuts. Serve immediately.