Recipe Build a Better… French Toast
August 02, 2017
Nothing elevates breakfast like warm, fragrant French toast. Great news: That heavenly sweetness can be healthy, too—all you need is our easy vegan french toast recipe! Swap out the usual eggs, dairy and sugar from traditional french toast batter and douse our high-fibre Sprouted Power™ Squirrelly Bread™ in almond milk, ground chia seeds, a splash of coconut oil and pure maple syrup instead. Then top with fresh sliced strawberries and serve up breakfast bliss.
(We like to think of this as our master vegan french toast batter recipe—this fast and easy plant-based mixture works with every bread we make. Try it with your family’s favourite Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery bread!)
How to make vegan french toast with sprouted whole grain bread
- 1 cup non-dairy milk, unsweetened (or canned coconut milk for extra richness (we used almond milk))
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp ground chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 6 slices Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery Squirrelly Bread™
- strawberries garnish
- Add the first four ingredients to a bowl and mix. Let them sit in the fridge for about 15 minutes, until the ground chia starts to soften.
- Preheat a frying pan to medium heat. Lightly grease with coconut oil.
- Dip each slice of bread into the mixture, coating both sides, and place in frying pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until browned. Top with fresh berries. Enjoy!