You don’t need me to tell you that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It’ll fuel you and make sure you start your day off on the best possible foot to get through whatever is thrown your way.
For me, I wake up bright and early in the morning before the sun rises to workout. Without giving my body the fuel it needs to get through that workout, you can find me sleeping underneath the bench press.
Most of struggle to get out of bed early, I mean, who doesn’t love sleep? However, once you break your regular routine of pressing the snooze button time after time again, I promise you it’ll make a huge impact and difference in your life. Some of the most successful people out there believe in an early morning routine, and here are just some of the benefits to why:
- It correlates to better grades or work
- Helps you maintain a healthy diet – no more skipping breakfast because you’re waking up too late
- It enhances your productivity as there are less distractions in the morning
- Assists with better mental health by eliminating stress in the morning of feeling rushed
- Gives you more time to fit in exercise
- Improves the quality of your sleep by putting you in a more consistent routine
When I wake up early, I always make sure I have time to make a quick, easy and healthy breakfast to get me going. One of my fav options is this protein-packed deconstructed burrito made with Silver Hill Tortillas.
Silver Hills Tortillas
For this recipe, I used Silver Hills Sprouted Organic Tortillas. These tortillas are fresh, hand-stretched and filled with sprouted whole-grain goodness. What I love about using Silver Hills products is that they are plant-based and filled with nutrient-rich, high-fibre whole grains, versus empty carbs.
What is Sprouting?
You’re probably wondering what the word “sprouted” means when you see it on a package, basically sprouting uses the entire whole grain. Organic whole grains are cleaned, rinsed, and soaked in water until they begin to sprout, aka grow. From this process, valuable nutrients are unlocked and released. Sprouting makes it easier for your body to absorb those nutrients and eases the digestion process.
Sprouting has so many more benefits for your body too! Such as:
- It can ensure your blood sugar levels stay steady
- Provides energy to power you through work, play, working out, etc.
- Increased soluble fibre and protein
- Won’t leave you foggy and lethargic like typical high starch foods
- Essential nutrients like vitamin B and C
- Shown to increase antioxidant capacity
- Increased levels of folate which supports the body’s metabolism rate, and produces energy
The key ingredient in this deconstructed burrito is the tofu scramble that replaces the eggs you’d usually find in a traditional breakfast sandwich. Combine the tofu with the protein rich black beans, and super filling avocado and sweet potato, this breakfast will start you off on the right foot and keep you full for hours. Here’s how to make it…
Maria Koutsogiannis began her journey to build a healthy relationship with food after an enduring battle with an eating disorder. Her fierce honesty and stripped-back approach to sharing her experience through her blog, FoodbyMaria.com, has earned her a global cult following in just three short years. Beloved for her unwavering ability to keep it real and genuine, Maria seeks to educate and inspire her readers to embrace vibrant, wholesome plant-based foods as part of their daily life.