Recipe Vegan Protein Packed Sandwich with Sprouted Grains
May 05, 2022
This sandwich is packed with vegan protein & sprouted grains and is super easy to make. Filled with high fibre, protein and good fats, it’s a perfect post-workout sandwich.
Sprouted grains are a perfect choice for a post-workout bread. They have a low glycemic index level, lots of fibre and a good amount of protein, therefore they keep your blood sugar stable as opposed to spiking it like white processed flour would do. The sprouted grains are also packed full of vitamins like B and C which helps with brain development and activation, so I never feel foggy or tired post meals ever. The sprouting process makes it incredibly easy to digest. So I never feel bloated after eating it, nor do I feel like I’m craving more and more bread.
You can make the bean spread in advance and have it waiting in your fridge so as soon as you’re done your workout all you have to do is quickly assemble your toast (I’ll note its also delicious on fresh non toasted bread) and eat. Beans are full of protein and fibre, and avocados have all the good fats your body and your brain need. And when you combine those two things with sprouted grain bread, you have a powerhouse of a meal. And it’s DELICIOUS.
Ana-Maria is a mom to three and wife to one very tall red-headed man, as well as the blogger behind Bluebird Kisses, which she now runs full time after leaving her job as an IT Security Consultant. Food – growing it, learning about it, and experimenting with recipes – is one of her biggest hobbies. If she’s not cooking then she’s working out, running, homeschooling and hanging out with her high energy boys.
- 1 can (398 ml / 14 fl oz) white beans , drained and rinsed (I used butter beans, but you can make it with other white beans)
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic , crushed
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary , chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme , chopped
- ¼ tsp chili flakes (optional)
- ½ lemon , juiced
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- to taste salt and pepper
- 2 slices Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery 20 Grain Train™ bread (or your favourite Silver Hills Bakery sprouted whole grain bread, or 1 bagel)
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium/high heat. Add the crushed garlic, herbs and chilli flakes (if using) and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the beans and heat well stirring often. Reduce the heat and mash the beans with a potato masher.
- Add the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of water, and mix well. The consistency should be similar to that of refried beans. Add salt and pepper to taste. (Use immediately or store in the fridge for up to a week).
- To make the sandwich, put a generous serving of the herby bean spread first on top of your Silver Hills Bakery sliced bread or bagel. Top with sliced avocado, flaky sea salt and a little more chili flakes if you’re like me and like a bit more of a kick! Enjoy on its own or with a salad or just a bunch of raw veggies on the side.