Vegan Cauliflower Toast on Sprouted Whole Grain Bread
Popular recipes for cheesy cauliflower toast aren’t exactly health-forward. Our recipe for Vegan Cauliflower Toast on Sprouted Whole Grain Bread takes a luxurious, indulgent, taste-over-health classic and transforms it into a better-for-you version that tastes just as fantastic. Surprisingly simple to make and totally delicious, this vegan cauliflower toast recipe gives you the goodness of sprouted whole grains and healthy, plant-based ingredients without leaving flavour behind.
We found creative ways to emulate flavours and textures in this popular recipe that don’t have an easy plant-based equivalent. But flavour profiles can be built from more than one angle if you bring a little creativity to the kitchen! To capture the distinct nuttiness of the gruyere cheese in the original classic recipes, we used our high-fibre Squirrelly Bread™ for our vegan cauliflower toast. Why? Because it’s made from sprouted whole wheat and packed with sunflower and sesame, Squirrelly Bread has a lovely nutty flavour when toasted or grilled.
Other ways we got creative? We traded the texture and smokiness of traditional bacon for plant-based options. The vegan jerky in this recipe infuses a smoky richness and some toothy texture to balance the creaminess of roasted cauliflower and cashew cheese. Vegan bacon adds an additional layer of texture to round out our healthy re-do.
Making our Vegan Cauliflower Toast on Sprouted Whole Grain Bread is easy! Simply roast, toss, toast, top, and serve. This recipe is so tasty, your kids will never notice it’s covered in veggies. (But we won’t blame you if you save this as your secret snack recipe for grown-ups’ night in!)
- 6 slices Sprouted Power™ Squirrelly Bread, toasted
- 1 small head of cauliflower, broken into florets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch chili flakes (or to taste)
- To taste salt & pepper (divided)
- 1 container (183 grams / 6.5 ounces) non-dairy cream cheese (we used Spread’em Kitchen’s Chives & Garlic fermented cashew soft cheese)
- 2 tablespoons smokey semi-firm non-dairy cheese, crumbled (we used Miyoko’s Aged Smoked English Farmhouse)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons mushroom jerky or your favourite vegan jerky, chopped (Noble Jerky is an easier-to-find choice)
- 2 tablespoons carrot bacon or your favourite plant-based bacon alternative, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350℉.
- Wash cauliflower and break or cut into florets. Toss florets with olive oil, salt, pepper, and chili flakes until evenly coated, and roast on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow cauliflower to cool slightly, then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Mix in non-dairy cream cheese to coat the cauliflower.
- Add smoky plant-based cheese, chopped mushroom jerky, and nutmeg to the mixture, and season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast Squirrelly Bread as you like it and place it on a plate or serving platter.
- Top toast with generous scoops of roasted cauliflower mixture.
- Garnish with carrot bacon and a sprinkle of chives.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Got a few extra minutes to make a good thing even better? Build your cauliflower toasts on a baking sheet instead of a serving platter. Before you garnish with chives, pop cauliflower-topped toasts under the broiler until golden and bubbly for a warm and toasty bite.
- Not sharing with the kids? Give your Vegan Cauliflower Toast on Sprouted Whole Grain Bread a kick with smoked paprika or your favourite chili powder. Make it even more grown-up by adding crunch from a coarser finishing salt, like a fleur de sel or flake sea salt.
Get more healthy, plant-based, sprouted whole grain recipes by following Silver Hills Bakery on Facebook and Instagram. (Want to know why grilling and toasting brings out the nutty best in sprouted whole grain bread? Sign up to get our Why Sprouted Handbook to find out!)