Recipe English Pea Toast Sandwich on Sprouted Bread
April 03, 2017
It’s easy going green with this light, bright, and slightly sweet recipe.
Peas are a kid-friendly favourite in many households and our English Pea Toast Sandwich on Sprouted Bread is an easy spread recipe that can be adapted to fit anyone’s taste. (Don’t like cilantro? Skip it and add more mint! Kids don’t like spice? Leave out the jalapeño and chili flakes. Like lemon more than lime? Try it with some lemon zest!).
Our versatile English Pea Toast spread is the perfect way to broaden your child’s food horizons by having them try something they know and like in a new context.
Use it as a toast topper, a dip for veggies, or a fresh and delicious sandwich spread. It’s perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or an anytime snack. There are lots of ways you can make this work for you and your family! We used it to make a healthy, grown-up sandwich on The Big 16, but you could serve it on your family’s favourite Silver Hills sprouted whole grain bread for a fresh taste with a familiar flavour.
Use frozen peas to get that spring-time freshness and flavour year-round. Blend with fresh mint, garlic, cilantro, and lime for a light, fresh, and delicious meal that satisfies, for breakfast, lunch, snack, or even a light and speedy dinner! With frozen peas, convenience doesn’t mean you have to compromise. Frozen fruits and vegetables often retain their vitamins and nutrients as well—or better than!—their fresh counterparts1.
For the English Pea spread:
- 2 cups frozen green peas (thawed)
- 2 cloves garlic , crushed
- ½ jalapeño pepper seeded and diced
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 Tbsp mint leaves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ – ½ cup water
- ½ lime , zested and juiced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- to taste salt and pepper
For the Sandwich:
- 2 slices Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery The Big 16™ bread (or your favourite Silver Hills Bakery sprouted whole grain bread), toasted
- 2 leaves lettuce
- 2 slices tomato
- 1 slice red onion
- ¼ cup carrot , grated (or spiralized)
- Combine all ingredients for the English Pea spread in the food processor until a smooth or desired consistency is reached, stopping often to scrape down the sides.
- Serve it as a simple toast topper or use as a sandwich spread with your favourite veggie toppings. Lettuce, tomato, carrots, and thinly sliced red onion make this spread sing!