Falafel Sandwich with Pickled Onions
This Falafel Sandwich is sure to keep you full for hours thanks to the chickpeas and chickpea flour which are high in protein and fibre! I also whipped up some quick pickled onions to add a nice zing to this recipe plus a tahini drizzle for creaminess. I prefer to use sprouted bread for our sandwiches because: 1. It’s easier to digest because when gluten is predigested the starches are also broken down, so our bodies have to do less work. 2. It’s less inflammatory in our system 3. When grains are sprouted, vital enzymes are released which breaks down starch stores and digestive inhibitors. This is why sprouted grains have lower glycemic index levels as well as increased soluble fibre and protein. 4. Sprouting ensures your blood sugar levels stay steady and provides energy to power you through a full day’s work and play. 5. Whole sprouted grains’ complex carbs fuel your brain. Whereas, starchy foods and simple carbs can leave you feeling foggy and lethargic. 6. Essential nutrients, like B vitamins and vitamin C, are made more available to the body, giving you a boost of focus and mental alertness. 7. Sprouting has been shown to increase antioxidant capacity in some grains, which can help protect the body against infection, chronic disease and damage to healthy body cells. 8. Sprouting increases fibre content and fibre makes your gut and microbiome joyous!
- 2 slices of Silver Hills Sprouted Bread
- 4 falafels
- Slices of raw onion or pickled onions
- 4 grape tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- 1 tbsp water
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch garlic powder
- Sprinkle of fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, combine tahini, water, lemon juice, sea salt and garlic powder. Mix until combined. If it's too thick, add a touch more water to desired consistency.
- If bread is frozen, let thaw 10 minutes before assembling sammie. Using a fork, flatten falafel before adding to sammie.
- Place flattened falafel onto sammie. Top with pickled onions, tomatoes, drizzle with tahini dressing and some parsley.
- Enjoy right away!
Joy McCarthy is a Holistic Nutritionist and founder of Joyous Health, an award-winning blog and healthy lifestyle brand focused on healthy living. She is a two-time bestselling author of Joyous Health and Joyous Detox, and a World Gourmand Cookbook Award recipient. Her third book, The Joyous Cookbook, comes out late 2019.