Spinach & Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Get your green on! This mouthwatering, healthified combo takes the humble grilled cheese sandwich to a whole new level with two favourite freezer and pantry staples that are fresh and flavourful no matter the season—frozen spinach and canned artichoke hearts. Perfect for #NationalSpinachDay, St. Patrick’s Day, or any day of the year that calls for a touch of green, this recipe pairs our delicious Mack’s Flax bread with everything you love most about savoury, delicious spinach artichoke dip and gooey grilled cheese in an irresistible sandwich melt. By incorporating creamy tofu, we lightened up the cheese (but not the taste) and cut the calories by half. In other words, you can enjoy this warm, enticing comfort food guilt-free!
- ½ package frozen spinach, thawed and wrung dry
- ¼ cup artichoke hearts, chopped
- ¼ cup vegan cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup non-dairy white shreds (we used Daiya Pepperjack Shreds)
- ½ cup extra-firm tofu, patted dry and grated
- ½ teaspoon garlic granules
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8 slices Sprouted Power™ Mack’s Flax bread
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy buttery spread, softened
- Place all ingredients except bread and buttery spread into a medium bowl and mix well.
- Divide the filling between 4 bread slices, and top with remaining slices.
- Divide the buttery spread between the sandwiches, spreading on the outside of both the top and bottom of each sandwich.
- Cook in a pre-heated non-stick pan over medium-low heat until browned, flip and cook other side until browned and filling is warmed through. (Or use a panini press if you have one). Serve immediately.