Recipe Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich
The ultimate umami-rich, mushroom-stuffed vegan grilled cheese sandwich
May 17, 2017
Dress up a classic with sautéed mushrooms and onions, a splash of balsamic, and gooey vegan cheese for a hearty dose of simple comfort. Our plant-based Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich makes for a quick delicious lunch, or an easy wholesome dinner with a bowl of soup or salad.
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms , sliced (about 225 g / 8 oz)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ large onion thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- to taste salt and pepper
- 4 slices vegan cheese (we used Swiss-style)
- 4 slices Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery The Big 16™ bread
- 2 Tbsp non-dairy buttery spread (or coconut oil)
- In a large skillet, sauté onions in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until done. Add vinegar and season to taste.
- To assemble, place one slice of cheese over each piece of bread, top with mushroom mixture, another piece of cheese, and remaining bread.
- Spread the outside of the sandwiches with buttery spread and cook in a large skillet over medium heat until cheese has melted and exterior is golden brown and crunchy.
Try these handy tips!
- Keep your mushrooms in a paper bag in the fridge. They’ll keep longer, so you’ll have them on hand the next time you crave the satisfying umami flavours of our Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich! - You can also make the sautéed mushrooms and onions in a big batch. Keep them in the fridge to enjoy this recipe twice in the same week!