Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Dress up a classic with sautéed mushrooms and onions, a splash of balsamic, and gooey vegan cheese for a hearty dose of simple comfort. Our Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich makes for a quick delicious lunch, or an easy wholesome dinner with a bowl of soup or salad.
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices vegan cheese (we used Swiss-style)
- 4 slices Silver Hills Bakery Sprouted Power Big 16 Bread™
- 2 Tbsp non-dairy buttery spread or coconut oil
- In a large skillet, sauté onions in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until done. Add vinegar and season to taste.
- To assemble, place one slice of cheese over each piece of bread, top with mushroom mixture, another piece of cheese, and remaining bread.
- Spread the outside of the sandwiches with buttery spread and cook in a large skillet over medium heat until cheese has melted and exterior is golden brown and crunchy.
Tip: Keep your mushrooms in a paper bag in the fridge. They’ll keep longer, so you’ll have them on hand the next time you crave the satisfying umami flavours of our Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich! (You can also make the sautéed mushrooms and onions in a big batch. Keep them in the fridge to enjoy this recipe twice in the same week!)