Recipe Fajita Grilled Cheese
May 11, 2017
Make way, mac-n-cheese, guac-n-cheese is on the scene, and it’s oh-so-mouthwateringly delicious in this weeknight easy plant-based recipe. Our Fajita Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe is loaded with veggies that pack in the vitamins and open up a whole new world of flavour sandwiched between generous sprouted grain slices of The Big 16 bread.
Turn up the heat by adjusting the cumin and chili powder just the way you like it. Bring a little sunshine and Tex-Mex flavour to your plate with sliced bell peppers, onion and zucchini. And dial up the gooey, plant-based goodness with extra vegan cheese. This fajita grilled cheese sandwich is about to become one of your family’s favourite meals!
Fast and Easy Healthy Weeknight Meal Hack:
Frozen fajita veggie mix is a perfect stand-in for fresh. Make it a freezer staple—right next to your favourite Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery bread!—and you can make Fajita Grilled Cheese Sandwiches on a whim any day of the year! (You can freeze guac, too!)
- ¼ large red onion , sliced
- ½ red bell pepper , sliced
- ½ orange bell pepper , sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper , sliced
- ½ small zucchini , sliced into thin ribbons
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 1 dash cumin
- 1 dash chili powder
- to taste salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup non-dairy cheddar-style shreds (we used Daiya)
- 4 slices Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery The Big 16™ bread (or your favourite Silver Hills Bakery sprouted whole grain bread)
- 2 Tbsp non-dairy buttery spread
- In a medium skillet, sauté vegetables in olive oil until softened. Add spices and continue cooking for 1 minute. Let mixture cool slightly.
- Sprinkle cheesy shreds over two slices of bread then top with vegetable mixture and second piece of bread.
- Spread the outside of the sandwich with a thin layer of buttery spread. In a large pan, grill sandwiches over medium to medium-high heat on both sides until the cheese begins to melt and the outside is golden brown and crispy.
Try these handy tips!
- Frozen fajita veggie mix (sometimes called "pepper and onion blend" or "fajita vegetables blend") usually includes sliced onion and at least two colours of sliced bell peppers. To make this fast, always ready swap in our Fajita Grilled Cheese recipe, use 1 ½ cups frozen fajita veggies in place of the fresh onion and assortment of sliced bell peppers on the ingredients list above. If you don't have fresh zucchini in your fridge, skip the last-minute trip to the store—simply replace the zucchini with an extra ½ cup of frozen fajita veggies for a total of 2 cups!