Recipe Homemade Plant-Based Fajita Burger
February 19, 2019
Can’t get enough Mexi-flavour? Neither can we! When Taco Tuesday has come and gone, the next best thing is fajitas. We’ve done a classic Chickpea Fajita and a Fajita Grilled Cheese, but our slightly spicy homemade Plant-based Fajita Burger is our current favourite. It’s packed with protein from tempeh and black beans, vitamins and minerals from crunchy and colourful fresh peppers, and healthy fat from avocado. And since our Plant-based Fajita Burger is stacked on our Sprouted Power™ Whole Grain Hamburger Buns, you know you’re serving up a fibre-rich family meal.
For the veggie burger patties:
- 1 package tempeh
- 1 can (398 ml / 14 fl oz) black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ small onion , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 jalapeño , seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro leaves
- 1 Tbsp adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- to taste salt and pepper
For the fajita burger toppings:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper , thinly sliced
- ½ yellow or orange pepper , thinly sliced
- ½ white onion , thinly sliced
- 4 Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery Organic Hamburger Buns
- 1 tsp olive oil
- to taste guacamole (or smashed avocado)
- 4 slices non-dairy cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make the patties, combine all veggie burger patty ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until large pieces are broken down, but the mixture still has texture. (Do not purée).
- Form mixture into 4 large patties and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until nicely browned on the first side, approximately 15 minutes. Flip and bake another 7 to 10 minutes until firm and browned on the second side.
- While the patties are cooking, sauté the sliced peppers and onions for the fajita burger topping in olive oil until softened.
- When ready to serve, split the buns open and brush the outside with olive oil. Place in the oven until warmed through, approximately 8 minutes. (Or toast as desired).
- To assemble, spread avocado on bottom buns, top with plant-based fajita burger patties, non-dairy cheese, pepper and onion mixture, and top buns. Serve and enjoy!