Recipe Mediterranean Hummus Toast
May 03, 2022
Looking for an easy, filling meal to keep you energized? This Mediterranean Hummus Toast is packed with plant based protein and fibre to keep you going for hours. It takes just ten minutes to make but it feels special. Time to up your toast game!
Love this recipe? Learn more about why hummus toast is such a healthy choice! Check out this blog post featuring our partner Desiree Nielsen Registered Dietitian.
Desiree Nielsen is a plant-based registered dietitian, host of The Allsorts Podcast and author of 2 bestselling plant-based cookbooks, Eat More Plants and Good for Your Gut. She lives in East Vancouver with her husband, two kids and an often-neglected vegetable garden.
- 4 slices Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery Mack's Flax™ bread (or your favourite Silver Hills Bakery sprouted grain bread)
- 1 ⅓ cup your favourite store bought hummus
- 1 package smoked tempeh or smoked tofu , cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3 large handfuls baby spinach
- ⅓ cup oil-packed sundried tomatoes , patted dry and thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- to taste salt and pepper
- vegan mayo (for serving)
- In a small bowl, stir sundried tomatoes into hummus. Set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet just over medium heat, warm olive oil and then add tempeh cubes. Cook until golden brown on 2 – 3 sides, about 1 – 2 minutes a side. Add spinach and stir until just wilted. Remove from heat, season generously with salt and pepper.
- Then, toast bread. Spread thinly with vegan mayo and then add 1/3 cup of hummus. Divide spinach – tempeh mixture between the toasts and add olives.
Try these handy tips!
All prepared foods have different flavour profiles. Be sure to taste and adjust here! Hummus fall flat? Brighten it up with some lemon juice. Tempeh lacking salt? Toss tempeh mixture with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce to enrich the flavour.