Healthy Plant-Based Breakfast Bowl with Sprouted Whole Grain Toast
Skip the go-to oatmeal and start your day with a flavourful balanced breakfast. This well-seasoned, healthy breakfast bowl is perfect for when you have a case of the Monday mornings, even if it’s on a Thursday. Make this on the weekend for an easy weekday breakfast or prepare the night before for lunch the next day. Pair with a toasted slice of your favourite Silver Hills Bakery sprouted whole grain bread—we’ve tried it with Mack’s Flax and and it’s equally delicious on both. Now you’ve got yourself a true breakfast of champions. This recipe serves 2, so double it if you’re looking to make breakfast for the whole family. And for those extra hungry teens, try adding some vegan breakfast sausage to make this dish last (a little) longer.
Tip: This dish pairs well with warm, morning sunshine and fresh air.
Breakfast Bowl (makes 2-4 servings)
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 3 cups frozen diced hash brown-style potatoes
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
• ½ tsp garlic powder
• 4 tsp chili powder
• Salt & pepper to taste
• 1 red pepper, diced
• ½ cup red onion, diced
• 1 tomato
• ½ cup mushrooms, coarsely chopped 2 cloves garlic
• 1 tsp oil
• 150g of extra firm tofu (or about half the pack)
• 1/8 tsp garlic powder
• 1/8 tsp onion powder
• 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
• 1/4 tsp turmeric
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2-4 slices of Mack’s Flax
For the Breakfast Bowl
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high and add oil once skillet is hot.
- When oil is heated, add diced hash browns, onion powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt and pepper.
- Stir until spices are coated evenly over potatoes, then
cook until potatoes turn golden brown, approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent any burning.
- While the potatoes cook, dice the pepper, red onion, mushrooms and tomato, and mince the garlic.
- When potatoes are golden but still firm, turn heat down to medium and add peppers, onion, mushrooms to the skillet
- Mix ingredients until combined evenly, and cook until onions are translucent, mushrooms have softened, and hash browns are just fork tender, approximately 3—5 minutes.
- Combine tomatoes and garlic in pan, cook for another 2 minutes until garlic is fragrant and tomatoes have just softened.
- Take skillet off the heat and set aside.
For the Tofu Scramble
- In a separate small frying pan, heat oil over medium heat
- Once the oil is ready, crush tofu in pan, leaving bigger clumps as desired
- Add Onion Powder, garlic powder, turmeric, smoked paprika & salt and pepper, combined until tofu is evenly coated
- Cook until tofu turns golden brown, approximately 4—5 minutes
- Serve on your breakfast bowl!
- Divide breakfast mixture evenly into bowls
- Top with tofu scramble, diced avocado, and green onion
- Serve alongside, or on top of your favourite Silver Hills Bakery bread
Taste Tip: Try adding hot sauce to your bowl to give it that extra kick!