For this picnic-ready sandwich, I swapped traditional cream cheese for cashew cheese. Cashew cheese is wonderful dairy-free alternative that is so delicious with all the fresh herbs and tanginess from fermentation. You can get store-bought cashew cheese or make it yourself. I also added my famous Beet Cashew Dip (look at that gorgeous colour) but of course any dip/hummus will do!
I prefer to use sprouted bread for our sandwiches because:
- It’s easier to digest because when gluten is pre-digested the starches are also broken down, so our bodies have to do less work.
- It’s less inflammatory in our system
- When grains are sprouted, vital enzymes are released which breaks down starch stores and digestive inhibitors. This is why sprouted grains have lower glycemic index levels as well as increased soluble fibre and protein.
- Sprouting ensures your blood sugar levels stay steady and provides energy to power you through a full day’s work and play.
- Whole sprouted grains’ complex carbs fuel your brain. Whereas, starchy foods and simple carbs can leave you feeling foggy and lethargic.
- Essential nutrients, like B vitamins and vitamin C, are made more available to the body, giving you a boost of focus and mental alertness.
- Sprouting has been shown to increase antioxidant capacity in some grains, which can help protect the body against infection, chronic disease and damage to healthy body cells.
- Sprouting increases fibre content and fibre makes your gut and microbiome joyous!
Joy McCarthy is a Holistic Nutritionist and founder of Joyous Health, an award-winning blog and healthy lifestyle brand focused on healthy living. She is a two-time bestselling author of Joyous Health and Joyous Detox, and a World Gourmand Cookbook Award recipient. Her third book, The Joyous Cookbook, came out late 2019.