Recipe Carrot Harissa Spread
June 19, 2018
Ready for some plant-powered zip? We grabbed harissa, a hot chili pepper blend dating back to 16th century Tunisia, to make a vegan spread for spice-lovers. Our take is as versatile as it is delicious, with garden-fresh carrots, olive oil, and tahini giving it a balanced taste with the perfect amount of kick. We love it on our high-fibre Sprouted Power Squirrelly bread.
- 5 medium carrots , peeled and sliced ½-inch thick
- 3 Tbsp harissa spice blend , divided
- 3 Tbsp olive oil , divided
- 1 clove garlic , crushed
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp water
- to taste salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Peel and slice carrots. Toss with 1 tablespoon harissa, 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice. Bake until carrots are almost tender, approximately 45 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Add water, tahini, and additional harissa (start with 1 additional tablespoon). Continue processing and drizzle in olive oil a little at a time until a chunky paste forms. Add salt and pepper and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve with our Sprouted Power Squirrelly bread or your favourite veggies and crackers.