Recipe Turmeric Burger
June 27, 2017
You don’t need to be a vegetarian to want to dive into these mouthwatering superfood-packed, plant-based Turmeric Burger patties. A blend of tofu, tahini, chopped onions, and carrots is kicked up with a punch of healthy spices. Powerful turmeric, associated with a host of brain and body benefits, lends the bright, sunshiny colour. Top our Turmeric Burgers with peppery arugula, creamy avocado, spicy red onions, crunchy red peppers, and creamy vegan mayo for a delicious burger that’s perfect all year round.
For the turmeric veggie burger patties:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- ½ cup carrots , grated
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 package extra-firm tofu , drained
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 2 Tbsp breadcrumbs (we used our easy Sprouted Breadcrumbs recipe)
- ½ lemon , zested
- to taste salt and pepper
- ½ red onion , sliced
- 1 large avocado , thinly sliced
- ½ red pepper sliced
- 1 large handful arugula
- 2 – 4 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 4 Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery Organic Hamburger Buns (or Silver Hills Bakery Sesame Sprouted Hamburger Buns)
- Sauté onion, carrot, and garlic in a large skillet over medium-low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add turmeric and cumin, and cook 30 seconds longer.
- Meanwhile, blend tofu with tahini in the food processor. Transfer to a large bowl and add onion mixture and remaining ingredients, mixing well. Adjust seasonings to taste before forming into 4 large turmeric burger patties.
- Place patties on a rimmed baking sheet fitted with parchment paper. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, flipping once until firm and golden brown on the bottom.
- Toast buns lightly, top with patties, mayonnaise and vegetables. Serve and enjoy!