Recipe Pumpkin Spice Bread Pudding
October 23, 2018
The only thing better than a warm, inviting bread pudding for a Fall or holiday family dinner is one that’s made with an entire loaf of satisfying Sprouted Power™ Big 16 bread! (Especially if your table includes hungry teens who’ve already eaten through the stuffing!).
With a cup of pure pumpkin purée, our Pumpkin Spice Bread Pudding captures all the joy of pumpkin pie, with none of the fuss of baking a crust. It’s probably the healthiest version of bread pudding you’ll ever eat! On top of the fibre-rich sprouted whole grain bread, we kicked the refined sugar for coconut sugar and made our Pumpkin Spice Bread Pudding completely plant-based. Now you can serve a classic vanilla and pumpkin spice flavoured dessert at the end of your meal and still feel great the next day.
- 1 loaf Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery The Big 16™ bread (or your favourite Silver Hills Bakery sprouted whole grain bread), roughly chopped and left to sit on the counter overnight*
- 1 cup pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 6 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 ¼ cups non-dairy milk, unsweetened
- *If you didn’t have a chance to leave the bread cubes on your counter overnight, don’t worry! Spread them on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes, until they begin to crisp. Cool completely before using in the recipe.
- If you planned ahead and left your bread cubes out to get a little stale overnight, preheat your oven to 350°F now. Lightly grease a large loaf pan or medium casserole dish and set aside.
- Next, transfer pumpkin purée to a large bowl and whisk in coconut sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in your non-dairy milk a little at a time to avoid lumps.
- Dump your cubed bread into the bowl with your pumpkin mixture. Toss together gently until bread is evenly coated and liquid is mostly absorbed. Bake until set, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot, warm or cold—it’s good no matter what temperature you serve it at! Garnish with a drizzle of your favourite nut butter, pumpkin seeds and fresh cranberries, if desired. (Or indulge à la mode with some non-dairy vanilla ice cream).