Leftover Lentil Loaf Sandwich with Sprouted Lentil Loaf
What’s better than a delicious dinner on Wednesday? Using leftovers to create a simple new meal on Thursday! Our Leftover Lentil Loaf Sandwich is the perfect way to use every last slice of our Sprouted Lentil Loaf and improvise with what you have around the house.
As we start to wind down the holiday season, families delight in healthy, simple, and low effort meals at home. Using leftovers isn’t just a great way to use what you have and waste less—it’s also a smart way to take fewer trips to the store during COVID and cozy up in the safety of your home with a comforting, satisfying, and absolutely delicious sandwich.
Our Sprouted Lentil Loaf Recipe with 3 Easy Sauce Options is a healthy dish that uses hearty ingredients like sprouted lentils, roasted sweet potatoes, and nuts. Because it’s a make-ahead and freezer-friendly meal, there’s no rule saying that you can’t make the lentil loaf just to make leftover sandwiches! Since the loaf calls for sprouted lentils anyway, why not double the recipe and sprout more to economize the effort? Have leftover sandwiches on deck for the week!
For this leftover sandwich, we used Sprouted Organic Heritage Grain Big Red’s Bread, but if you’ve made your lentil loaf in muffin tins versus loaf pans, they’re the perfect size and shape to serve on our Sprouted Power Hamburger Buns as a less-sloppy joe option! We also severed this sammy up with slices of roasted sweet potato, but leftover mashed potatoes would work just as well!
Looking for other sandwich fixings for our leftover loaf? Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Leftover stuffing
- Leftover mushroom or miso gravy (use it cold so it’s more like a spread versus a sauce, or drizzle it warm over your fillings)
- Leftover squash (slice cubes so that they fit your sandwich better)
- Vegan mayo (to complement the zing of cranberry with a touch of creaminess)
- Fresh sprouts (if you have leftover sprouted lentils after you made your lentil loaf, this is the perfect place to use some of them up!)
- You—and your kids’— favourite condiments
Our Sprouted Lentil Loaf called for your choice of ketchup, cranberry sauce, or our Easy Tamarind Apricot Chutney—all of which also work wonderfully in a leftover lentil loaf sandwich. If you have leftover chutney from making the loaf, feel free to slather it on your sandwich instead of (or in addition to!) the cranberry sauce! There’s everything to loaf about this leftover sandwich!
- 2 slices Sprouted Organic Heritage Grain Big Red’s Bread™ (or your favourite Silver Hills sprouted bread)
- 1 slice Sprouted Lentil Loaf
- ¼ cup leftover cranberry sauce (we used our easy Orange Cranberry Chia Relish)
- 2 – 3 slices of roasted sweet potato
- Fresh spinach or lettuce
- Toast your bread as you like it.
- For a warm leftover lentil loaf sandwich, reheat lentil loaf. (Use whatever method you prefer: microwave, toaster oven, or warm in a non-stick pan over medium-low until heated through). Reheat other leftovers you’re using for toppings as desired, too.
- Spread both sides of your toasted bread generously with cranberry sauce.
- Layer fresh greens, leftover lentil loaf, slices of roasted sweet potato and/or other toppings and top with the remaining slice of bread.
- Slice your sandwich in half for a more manageable bite and enjoy!
- Of course, you can’t make this Leftover Sandwich without making a Sprouted Lentil Loaf first! Making it as a main meal? Or dedicating the whole loaf to sandwiches? Whatever you do, leave enough time for sprouting the lentils. Put it in your calendar to start sprouting three days before this meal. (We promise it’s worth the wait!)