Caesar Salad with Garlicky Croutons
Everyone knows a terrific Caesar salad owes its greatness to the dressing. What’s not so well-known is how that delectable, classic creaminess can be achieved eggless and dairy free. Inspired by Erin Ireland’s cashew-based Creamy Garlic sauce, this smooth and tangy plant-based Caesar salad makes keeping those healthy eating resolutions easy. Garlic croutons made from our hearty Sprouted Power™ Multigrain bread add a pop of flavour and extra fibre, perfect for powering your day deliciously.
For the Plant-Based Caesar Salad Dressing:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight then drained
- 1 cup water
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Garlic Croutons:
- 6 slices Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery Sprouted Power™ Multigrain bread
- 3 tablespoons vegan buttery spread, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cleaned and torn into bite-sized pieces
- Plant-based parmesan shavings, if desired
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Make the garlic croutons by combining the ingredients in a medium bowl and tossing to coat the bread. Spread on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake until crispy and golden, approximately 12 minutes, flipping halfway. Cool to room temperature.
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a high-powered blender. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- To assemble the salad, toss lettuce with a few tablespoons of the dressing in a large bowl. Add croutons and parmesan shavings, if using. Serve immediately.
- Crave Caesar salad today? You can’t travel back in time to soak those cashews overnight, but you can use a quick-soak method to make this tonight! Simply boil a pot of water, toss in your cashews, turn off the heat and put a lid on it for 30 minutes. Work on your garlic croutons while you wait! (They have to cool anyway, right?)
- Don’t have our Sprouted Power™ Multigrain bread in your house? Use your favourite Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery bread—you can make our garlic croutons with any variety (other than Cinnamon Raisin!)