Recipe Waffle Iron Breakfast Grilled Cheese
The perfect savoury brunch sandwich!
August 06, 2019
Lunch for breakfast is the new breakfast for dinner. Packed with warm, savoury, plant-based protein, layered with melty, vegan cheezy goodness, brightened with fresh tomato-basil flavour, our Waffle Iron Breakfast Grilled Cheese Sandwich is all held together with the crisp, golden-brown nutty slices of bread fit for a Queen (or King). This sandwich offers a downright majestic start to your day—and it’s surprisingly quick to make, too! Serve it with a side of smashed avocado to level up the decadence with healthy fats.
(Don’t have a waffle iron? No problem—make it the traditional way in your favourite frying pan or cast iron skillet. A panini press works, too!)
For the Tofu Scramble:
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1 – 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ sweet onion , diced
- ½ tomato , diced
- 1 green onion , chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder (or garlic granules)
- ½ tsp turmeric
For the Sandwich:
- 4 slices Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery The Queen's Khorasan™ bread (or your favourite Silver Hills Bakery sprouted whole grain bread)
- 1 tomato , sliced
- 2 slices vegan cheddar-style cheese (we used Chao)
- 1 – 2 Tbsp pesto (spread to taste)
- 2 – 3 Tbsp non-dairy buttery spread
- ½ cup mozzarella or pepperjack-style vegan cheese shreds (we used Daiya)
- 2 – 4 leaves fresh basil (to taste)
For the Tofu Scramble:
- In a large bowl, break the tofu into small curds with your hands.
- Heat oil in a skillet and cook the onion until translucent. Add the tofu, and seasonings.
- When the tofu is heated through and the spices are well incorporated (mixture should be a beautiful yellow colour from the turmeric), add the remaining vegetables and mix through.
- Divide tofu scramble into two portions. For each sandwich, butter one side of a slice of bread (the side that will face the grilling surface).
- On the other side of the slice, spread a layer of pesto, a slice of vegan cheese, half of the tofu scramble, a slice of tomato, a couple basil leaves, and shredded cheese. Close it up with another buttered slice of bread (butter side out) and set sandwich in a preheated waffle iron (or panini press).
- Grill until golden-brown and melty. (If you do not have a waffle iron or panini press, grill sandwiches in a frying pan, flipping carefully when first side is golden-brown, and grill second side until both sides of your breakfast grilled cheese are golden and cheese is melted).
- Repeat with second sandwich and serve.
Try these handy tips!
- Be ready for anything. Keep a block of tofu and your favourite loaf (or loaves!) of Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery bread in your freezer!