Breakfast Grilled Cheese
Lunch for breakfast is the new breakfast for dinner. Packed with warm, savory, plant-based protein, layered with melty, vegan cheezy goodness, brightened with fresh tomato-basil flavour, and all held together with the crisp, golden-brown nutty slices of bread fit for a Queen, this sandwich offers a downright majestic start to your day. And it’s surprisingly quick to make, too! Serve it with a side of smashed avocado to level up the decadence with healthy fats.
For the Tofu Scramble:
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ sweet onion, diced
- ½ tomato, diced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder or garlic granules
- ½ tsp turmeric
For the Sandwich:
- 4 slices Sprouted Organic Ancient Grain The Queen’s Khorasan™ bread
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 slices vegan cheese (we used Chao)
- 1 – 2 Tbsp of your favourite pesto (spread to taste)
- 2 – 3 Tbsp vegan buttery spread
- Shredded vegan cheese (we used Daiya)
- Fresh basil (a few leaves)
- In a large bowl, break the tofu into small “curds” with your hands.
- Heat oil in a skillet and cook the onion until translucent. Add the tofu, and seasonings.
- When the tofu is heated through and the spices are well incorporated (mixture should be a beautiful yellow colour from the turmeric), add the remaining vegetables and mix through.
- To assemble:
Divide tofu scramble into two portions. For each sandwich, butter one side of a slice of bread (the side that will face the grilling surface). On the other side of the slice, spread a layer of pesto, a slice of vegan cheese, half of the tofu scramble, a slice of tomato, a couple basil leaves, and shredded cheese. Close it up with another buttered slice of bread (butter side out) and set sandwich in a preheated waffle iron (or panini press).
- Grill until golden-brown and melty. (If you do not have a waffle iron or panini press, grill sandwiches in a frying pan, flipping carefully when first side is golden-brown, and grill second side until both sides are golden and cheese is melted).
- Repeat with second sandwich and serve.