Recipe Plant-based Sloppy Joes
Try this fast and filling weeknight-easy family meal!
March 19, 2018
Too busy to cook? Dinner is solved. You barely need twenty minutes to throw together our savoury Plant-based Sloppy Joes. This healthy take on a classic is sure to become a family favourite. Our sprouted Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns with Sesame Seeds are the perfect handholds for this nutrient-rich, fibre-packed meal. Loaded with flavour, this is the ultimate in kid-friendly, easy weeknight suppers. Double the batch and enjoy it twice this week—it’s even better the next day!
Love sloppy joes? Try our recipe for Hearty High-Protein Lentil Sloppy Joes, too! Tell us which one’s your favourite and why on our Facebook and Instagram pages.
For the sloppy joe mixture:
- 1 package (340g / 12 oz) meatless crumbles (such as Yves Veggie Ground Round or Beyond Beef)
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- ½ Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce (not pasta sauce)
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- ½ – 1 Tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 – 2 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- ½ to 1 Tbsp chili powder (or to taste)
- to taste salt and pepper
- 4 Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery Organic Sesame Hamburger Buns (or Silver Hills Bakery plain Sprouted Hamburger Buns)
- 1 cup prepared coleslaw
- ½ white onion , sliced
- Melt coconut oil in a large skillet and add onion. Cook over medium heat until softened and beginning to brown. Add crumbles and stir until well combined.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook until thickened, approximately 15 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- To assemble, spread buns with more coconut oil and toast in 350°F oven until warmed through but not crisp. Pile sloppy joe mixture over bottom bun, top with onion, coleslaw and top bun. Serve your Plant-based Sloppy Joes immediately. Refrigerate leftovers (they’re delicious the next day).