Chickpea Scramble Breakfast Sandwich
This easy Chickpea Scramble Breakfast Sandwich recipe can be put it together with pantry staples. Loaded with flavour, this satisfyingly healthy, plant-based breakfast sandwich will keep you full until your next meal. It's the perfect quick breakfast or lunch to whip up while at home. And once we're back to living our busier lives out in the world, it's a fantastic, easy hot breakfast recipe for a healthy weekend family meal or weeknight breakfast for dinner everyone will love. You can totally eat this Chickpea Scramble on its own—but you can also eat it in a yummy Chickpea Breakfast Sandwich loaded with toppings of your choosing! That's how I like to eat it to make it more satisfying! What I do is add anything I have in my fridge, but feel free to get creative here with your fav toppings.
For the Chickpea Scramble:
- 1 540 ml can of chickpeas, do not discard the juice (aquafaba)
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 large garlic cloves, grated or finely minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tsp umami Trader Joe’s spice (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin spice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 8 Tbsp aquafaba (chickpea juice)
- 4 Tbsp plant-based milk
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
For the Breakfast Sandwich:
- 4 pieces of Silver Hills Sprouted Multigrain Bread
- vegan mayo
- fresh mustard
- vegan cheese
- fresh lettuce
- To a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for the chickpea scramble apart from the aquafaba, plant-based milk and olive oil. Using a potato masher or fork, begin to mash together all the ingredients till they’re all well coated with spice and seasonings. Give the chickpeas a quick taste an adjust flavour as desired. You may require more salt or onion etc.
- Once you are happy with the flavour, to the bowl, add the aquafaba and plant-based milk and stir till well combined.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat for 1 minute before adding the olive oil and tilting the pan till completely coated with oil.
- Pour the mixture onto the pan and evenly distribute across the pan and pat using the back of a spoon to flatten it all out. Reduce heat to medium and let it cook for 3 minutes before using a spatula to scrape the sides of the pan to ensure nothing sticks or gets let behind.
- Using the spatulata, lightly pat and push the chickpea scramble mixture around, leaving no holes but allowing for new mixture to touch the base of the skillet to crisp up.
- After 2-4 minutes, cut the skillet into a cross and begin flipping each side around onto it’s uncooked side. Cook for 5-7 minutes before removing from heat.
- Assemble your sandwich as you would (I recommend toasting the bread) and add desired amount of chickpea scramble to the mix.
Greek Canadian, Maria Koutsogiannis' journey with food began after enduring a cruel battle with an eating disorder. Her fierce honesty, and stripped back approach to sharing her journey to self-love and seeking a healthy relationship with food, has amassed a global cult following in just three short years. Maria has an unwavering ability to keep it real and genuine and seeks to educate readers, and inspire vegans and non-vegans alike to embrace vibrant, wholesome plant based foods into their daily life.