English Muffin French Toast Breakfast
Spot of tea with this English-spin on a French favourite? Our English Muffin French Toast Breakfast is a light morning delight. Eggless, non-dairy, and sweetened with maple syrup, this healthy take on French Toast uses fibre-rich Silver Hills’ sprouted Soft Wheat English Muffins for a scrumptious, yet delicate, chew. No ground chia seeds at home? No problem! Substitute for 1½ tablespoons of whole chia seeds, add all of the batter ingredients to a blender, and blend until the seeds have ground up.
Fast enough to be a quick weekday morning meal for the kids, and delicious enough to double the batch for Sunday morning breakfast with the whole family. Have the oven at 200°F and once your English muffins have browned, place them on a baking sheet to keep warm while you finish the batch. Seconds, anyone? Oui, oui!
For the English Muffin French Toast:
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (or canned coconut milk for extra richness)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or non-dairy butter
- 4 Sprouted Power™ Soft Wheat English Muffins, halved
- Fresh fruit
- Sliced almonds
- Maple syrup
- Coconut whip
- Make the eggless French toast batter by mixing unsweetened non-dairy milk, vanilla, ground chia seeds, maple syrup, and coconut oil or non-dairy butter in a bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Set the mixture aside for at least 5 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Halve the English muffins by separating with a fork along the cut or by slicing through gently (and carefully!) with a serrated knife.
- Dip halves in the batter on both sides, then cook in a pan over medium with buttery spread until golden brown.
- Serve with any of your favourite toppings. We recommend fresh fruit, sliced almonds, maple syrup, jam, or coconut whip.
- While we recommend using ground chia seeds, you can substitute for ground flax seeds. Both contain a similar amount of fibre and thicken when wet to take on the egg-like consistency that makes this totally plant-based French toast batter work like a charm.
Looking for more recipe inspiration? Scroll down to the bottom of this page and subscribe to our monthly email newsletter. Get delicious, sprouted whole grain recipe ideas for every meal of the week!